Лилия К* is offering you to have website «EarsPawsTail» remembered
Do you want us to remember the «EarsPawsTail» website?
Yes No
Прогноз погоды

Life Is Not That Without A Pet

17 Foods You Should Never Let Your Pets Eat


17 Foods You Should Never Let Your Pets Eat

1. Bread Dough

Bread Dough
Getty Images/iStockphoto Magone

Raw bread dough with yeast can be dangerous for all pets. The dough can rise and release gases in their stomach, which could damage internal organs and cause difficulty breathing. Active yeast also produces alcohol, which can cause coma, seizures, or even death.

2. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and Raisins
Getty Images/iStockphoto vonEisenstein

Grapes and raisins can be extremely toxic to dogs, but not always. One dog might get really sick and develop kidney failure after eating only a few grapes or raisins, but others might not be affected at all. Because you don’t know how your dog will react to grapes and raisins, it’s best to keep them away from all dogs. There’s no sense in risking it.

3. Chewing Gum

Chewing Gum
Getty Images/iStockphoto Eric Brownstone

Xylitol is the ingredient used in sugar-free chewing gum to make it sweet, and in dogs, the chemical plays a nasty trick. The dog’s body thinks sugar levels are high, so insulin is released and blood sugar drops to dangerously low levels that may cause death.

4. Chocolate

Getty Images/iStockphoto Jacek Nowak

For pets, “death by chocolate” isn’t a delicious life goal; it’s a serious concern.Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to both cats and dogs. The darker the chocolate, the higher the amount of theobromine (so milk chocolate is less toxic than dark chocolate), but you should keep all chocolate products out of reach. Depending on how much and what kind of chocolate a pet eats, intoxication can cause vomiting, upset stomach, fever, seizures, and death.

5. Raw Eggs

Raw Eggs
Getty Images/iStockphoto Iryna Melnyk

Eating raw eggs isn’t a good idea for any animal because they carry the risk of salmonella, but for cats, raw eggs can also cause skin and coat problems. The compound alvidin in egg whites can cause a vitamin B deficiency that results in rough skin and hair loss.

6. Onions and Garlic

Onions and Garlic
Getty Images/iStockphoto Teen00000

In cats and dogs, toxins found in onions and garlic can damage red blood cells. Your pet probably won’t eat enough fresh garlic or onion to cause serious problems, but onion and garlic powders have concentrated levels of these toxins, which means these products could be more dangerous. In any case, symptoms only develop a few days after ingestion, and serious cases could mean a trip to the vet.

7. Corn on the Cob

Corn on the Cob
Getty Images/iStockphoto Valenaphoto

Dogs tend to love corn on the cob, but if they chew on it, pieces of the cob can cause extremely dangerous and painful obstruction in the digestive system. This could be very painful for your dog and could even cause death. Cut the kernels off the cob if you want to give them a treat, and make sure to throw out cobs in a closed trash can they can’t get into.

8. Wild Mushrooms

Wild Mushrooms
Getty Images/iStockphoto Olha_Afanasieva

When out for a walk, it’s best to keep curious pets away from wild mushrooms. Most mushrooms that grow outdoors are safe, but some are poisonous to both humans and pets. So in this case, if you shouldn’t eat it, neither should your pet.

9. Alcohol

Getty Images/iStockphoto Stepan_Bormotov

Think of all of the effects alcohol has on the human body. The same effects occur if your pet has alcohol, but because of their smaller size and differences in metabolism, the effects on their bodies are quicker and more severe. In other words, alcohol poisoning can occur with a smaller amount and result in coma, seizures, or death in extreme cases.

10. Avocado

Getty Images/iStockphoto NadiaCruzova

Avocados aren’t a serious risk to cats and dogs, but they could be deadly to other animals including birds, rabbits, and horses. In these animals, the compound persin can result in difficulty breathing and damage to the heart. Even in cats and dogs, avocados can cause vomiting and diarrhea, so it’s best to keep this one away from all of your pets.

11. Caffeine

Getty Images/iStockphoto aimy27feb

Like alcohol, caffeine causes similar effects on the bodies of cats and dogs as it does on humans. But again, because of their size, the likelihood of a caffeine overdose is higher for pets. Pets who eat or drink anything containing caffeine should be watched closely for symptoms including vomiting, racing heart, and hyperactivity.

12. Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia Nuts
Getty Images/iStockphoto faengsrikum

Many nuts can cause upset stomachs in cats and dogs, and macadamia nuts tend to produce the worst effects. After eating these nuts, pets usually experience a lot of pain and fever for a few days, so it’s best to keep these up and out of their reach.

13. Hops

Getty Images/iStockphoto ChristianJung

Most people probably don’t keep fresh hops in their house, but people who have them around for home brewing will want to keep them away from their canine friends. Dogs who eat hops can get very high fevers and even multiple organ failures.

14. Moldy Foods

Moldy Foods
Getty Images/iStockphoto Witthaya

Your pet is not a garbage disposal, and spoiled foods can be just as dangerous to your pet as they can be to you. Some molds that grow on foods can be very toxic to your pet and cause extreme, potentially deadly tremors.

15. Milk

Getty Images/iStockphoto fotoedu

This one is surprising, because most people think that cats LOVE milk. They might like its taste and richness, but most cats are actually lactose intolerant. Giving your cat some milk probably won’t cause serious problems, but it could mean an upset stomach and possibly diarrhea — no fun for either of you.

16. Stone Fruits

Stone Fruits
Getty Images/iStockphoto Melpomenem

Stone fruits like apricots, plums, peaches, cherries, and nectarines can be a nice treat for your pet, but make sure they don’t swallow the pits. The hard “stones” in the middle of these fruits can cause your pet to choke or form a blockage in the digestive tract. Although it’s unlikely, the swallowing the pits also carries the risk of cyanide poisoning.

17. Animal Bones

Animal Bones
Getty Images/iStockphoto ihorga

Even though you might have thought that there’s no better treat for your dog than abone to chew on, they can be very dangerous or deadly. Fragments of the bone can become stuck in your pet’s digestive system and puncture or tear its lining. This could mean an emergency trip to the vet, and if the internal injuries cause a bacterial infection, even death.



Follow: Food, useful
Published by , 23.02.2015 at 23:01
Статистика 1
Показы: 1 Охват: 0 Прочтений: 0


To show the previous comments (%s from %s)
Courtney Leony
Courtney Leony 23 February 15 23:35 It's a surprise to know that milk could be dangerous for cats... Text hided expand
Chloe Green
Chloe Green 23 February 15 23:45 Just don't give pets human food Text hided expand
Show new comments
All comments are shown: 2
Facebook comments
Family Of 'Giant' Ducks Deci…

Family Of 'Giant' Ducks Decides To Visit Miniature Town

may 23 18, 16:47
0 0
Статистика 1
Показы: 1 Охват: 0 Прочтений: 0
No One Can Believe This Shar…

No One Can Believe This Shark Actually Exists

may 23 18, 16:46
0 0
Статистика 1
Показы: 1 Охват: 0 Прочтений: 0
Meghan Markle Took This Dog …

Meghan Markle Took This Dog From Shelter Pup To Royalty

may 23 18, 16:46
0 0
Статистика 1
Показы: 1 Охват: 0 Прочтений: 0
Kid Tricks Parents Into Adop…

Kid Tricks Parents Into Adopting The Biggest Dog In The Shelter

may 21 18, 16:25
0 0
Статистика 1
Показы: 1 Охват: 0 Прочтений: 0
Man Learns The Shocking Reas…

Man Learns The Shocking Reason Why His Dog Won't Stop Pacing In A Circle

may 21 18, 16:24
0 0
Статистика 1
Показы: 1 Охват: 0 Прочтений: 0
Brave Firefighter Rushes Int…

Brave Firefighter Rushes Into Burning Home To Save Dogs Trapped Inside

may 21 18, 16:23
0 0
Статистика 1
Показы: 1 Охват: 0 Прочтений: 0

Site search


Last comments

Many-many thanks for the interesting story and the pictures of the little lynx-kids!
milli160347 This Man Woke Up To A Strange Noise, Then He Saw This On His Porch
A wonderful creature!
milli160347 Girl Rescues Orange Seahorse Mistaken For A Cheeto, The Creature Turns Yellow Once She Feels Better
Many thanks for the article about street cats and the pictures! Good that there are people who take…
milli160347 Web Designer From Belgrade Takes Pictures Of Street Cats As A Remainder Of Her Youth
Susan VanKuiken
Susan VanKuiken
Sweet Dog, sweet Hillary😊
Susan VanKuiken No One Wanted This Puppy Because It Was Different, So Hilary Duff Decided To Adopt It